Monday, November 7, 2011

Memories of my Youth

These are the sorts of memories firmly embedded in my brain, or so I learned at the Dementia Workshop!

MemHop.jpg  (23734 bytes)

Hours of playing hop scotch.
MemCats.jpg  (30006 bytes) We loved to play Cats Cradle. I was pretty good at the basics, but couldn't do the more complicated exchanges.
MemBlack.jpg (42663 bytes) "The Black Stallion" is the first novel I remember reading by myself, recommended by my friend Stephen Calegari. I became an instant fan of Walter Farley and his horses. I still have a soft spot in my heart for that book.
MemPig.jpg  (10450 bytes) I had a very good relationship with this guy. My mother kept it filled with cookies, usually chocolate chip. My challenge was always to be able to lift the head, take a cookie, and replace the head without making any noise. I got pretty good at doing it!
MemCrusade.jpg (33989 bytes) We were such fans of Crusader Rabbit!
MemBadge.jpg (40948 bytes) I was a Girl Scout and passionate about earning badges. I can't remember any of the badges I earned now, but I constantly poured over my handbook to find badges that I could work toward earning.
MemJack.jpg  (28805 bytes) We loved to play jacks--and my mother was better at it than either my sister or me. I loved getting down on the floor and playing jacks with her!
MemStoryB.jpg (23470 bytes) These are Story Book dolls. I had a set of about 8 of them, but I wasn't allowed to touch them. My father made boxes for them and they hung on the wall of our bedroom as decoration. I guess they were given away after I left home. I don't remember ever having a say in what happened to them.
MemCream.jpg (33097 bytes) For special occasions, my mother made a chocolate cream roll--cake filled with real whipped cream and topped with bittersweet chocolate frosting. Haven't had a taste of this in decades.
MemCamera.jpg (28688 bytes) My first camera. I was 10. The rest is history!
MemSkates.jpg (20176 bytes) I loved roller skating and longed for shoe skates, but they were just too expensive, so I wore these strap ons, with the skate key to tighten the grip on my shoes.
MemType.jpg  (35983 bytes) I learned to type on a machine like this and, again, the rest is history!

3 comments:

phonelady said...

I had those same skates and I remember not wanting those kind because of the other kids making fun of us saying we were too poor to afford good skates , the boot kind of roller skates . I still have my dolls and my one fave is my cinderella doll and i still have her . I took them with me when I left home . The one doll my mother did not take back to get a refund and use for as she said more practical things . Yep mom took our xmas presents back from relatives to the store and got a money refund . If the relative asked it was put away , Seems like the relative was always too polite to ask to see it .Sometimes I wish they had .

The Pen Thief said...

My mother has that cookie jar!! It was my great grandmothers, but I don't ever recall my mother putting cookies in it. Her collection of cookie jars always held cookie cutters instead. =)

Such good memories!

jon said...

strangly, I had a roller skate key but no roller skates.

I like the things of my youth. I don't need dementia to remember it, thank God.